Remodeling a kitchen is an exciting time with a beautiful and functioning kitchen to look forward to at the end! But in the meantime, you need to know what to anticipate and how to handle it.
Here is what to expect if you live in your house through a kitchen remodel and how to prepare for it:
Make Preparations and Get Organized
Plan to do the following before demolition begins:
- Carve out time to pack up the kitchen properly or arrange for movers since it’s a big task.
- Think about whether some sort of refrigeration will be possible. Perhaps there’s an old fridge in the garage or a mini-fridge elsewhere in the house. It may be worth renting a small one or buying one secondhand. Just be sure there is a place you can plug it in outside the kitchen.
- Include takeout food and restaurant expenses in your overall renovation budget.
- Get in the mindset of getting the groceries you need daily as opposed to shopping for the week or month. A lot of times, you just won’t have the space for that!
Set Up a Makeshift Kitchenette
If possible, set up a mini kitchen in another room. Think about what equipment might come in handy for throwing together meals. Suggestions include:
- Coffee maker
- Electric teakettle
- Toaster or toaster oven
- Slow cooker
- Portable electric grill
- Electric frying pan (if you have a place to clean it)
- Find portable kitchen appliances
If your house has a mini kitchen or a wet bar elsewhere, you’re in luck. This is a great spot to set up.
Think about how you’re going to handle a small-appliance cooking mess before you make it – this may involve the patio, a hose and a dishwashing tub.
We Care About You and Your Home
Yes, it can be a bit of a hassle to live in the home while a remodel is taking place, but that is why we care so much and put a lot of effort into making sure we:
1) Contain dust and keep our jobsite clean and organized
2) Focus on great communication
3) Work tirelessly to keep the project on schedule to limit the disruption to your home and life.
How can we help you? We love what we do and love helping homeowners through the remodeling process! If you have a project in mind, don’t hesitate to reach out. We’re happy to answer any questions you have.